Installing ColdFusion MX 7.01 Server Configuration on Mac OS X

I've put together a collection of screen shots to walk you through the new GUI installer for ColdFusion 7.01 for Mac OS X. Previously one had to perform several tedious prerequisite installations, but now CFMX is available in a clickable, user friendly installer.

Screenshots of CFMX 7.01 Installation on Mac OS X


For the first time, the System Requirements page lists support for production use of Apple Mac OS X 10.3.9, 10.4.2 and 10.4.3. Previously, the sysreqs had a footnote for for Mac to indicate support was development only.

Some versions of Windows now bear the Development Only footnote, including Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP.

For convenience in starting and stopping the server as well as using the web server config tool, check out the ColdFusionLauncher.app.

ColdFusion MX 7.01 Just Released

In these last 10 minutes the CFMX Updates page on Macromedia.com was modified to include the lastest revision of ColdFusion MX, 7.01. This free update for CFMX 7 provides support for Network Deploy on WebSphere, support for Oracle 10g, support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and Suse 9 Enterprise Linux, a Mac OS X clickable and user friendly installation GUI for the familiar Server Configuration of ColdFusion MX, as well as a bundle of bug fixes.

Check out more here:

* Welcome to Merrimack: An Even Better ColdFusion MX 7 DevNet article
* FAQ about the ColdFusion MX 7 Updater (7.0.1)
* Downloads page for ColdFusion MX 7.01
* Screenshots of CFMX 7.01 installation on Mac OS X
* ColdFusion MX 7 Updater Release Notes

The System Requirements page is still pointing to the CFMX 7.0 version, so hopefully that will get updated soon.

ColdFusion MX and Database Design at Harvard

Proper Database Design remains a weakness of mine when considering my web application development skills, so this semester I've decided to cross that one off my list by enrolling in the Harvard Extension School class:

CSCI E-253 Developing Web-based Database Applications
Web-based applications offer the advantages of workstation productivity and ease of use together with the power and sophistication of relational database servers. This course provides the concepts and skills necessary to design and develop web-based database applications. Students build a working database application using Oracle and a client application using ColdFusion to serve the information needs of an enterprise. Through hands-on projects, students will build, populate, query, and write transactions for a relational database using SQL and then develop a client application to access their database. As a final project, students will build a prototype client/server application.


We've only met one week so far, and tonight will be the second class. I'm thrilled to know that the instructor is not only very articulate when conveying technical ideas, but she professes to be very passionate about both Oracle and ColdFusion.

Database design is a topic not commonly found in ColdFusion FastTrack classes or other CF-related classes from private vendors/instructors. Outside of formal academia, the most comprehensive course on ColdFusion and Database Design that I know of is taught by Adam Churvis and his brother son at Productivity Enhancement. I've often perused the curriculum there, but I find it hard to take time off of work for travel.

Advanced Development with ColdFusion MX and SQL Server 2000
This new version of our ever-popular Advanced Database course is now even better. We took out the Oracle content because only 5% of our students really used it and the other 95% didn't care, plus we removed the data warehousing and load testing content so we could add even more exercises and also spend more time teaching engineering principles, like when you would use one technique for a solution as opposed to another... Now there's plenty of time to explain exactly when and why you would use a correlated subquery versus an outer join, when you should stick with CFQUERY rather than migrate to a stored procedure, etc.